Answering Your Questions About Our Hudson Valley Resort

Who Are You?

For over 100 years, five generations of Nicholsens have welcomed families to our beautiful Hudson Valley resort. In 1920, Peter and Gurine Nicholsen began our journey by creating this beautiful mountain escape for couples and families. Now their grandchildren, great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren carry on their legacy.

Learn How It All Began

When you book your next vacation at our Hudson Valley resort, we take care of everything for you. Scrumptious meals are prepared and served to you family style in our dining room with spectacular views of the Catskill Mountains. You’ll have full access to ALL our great facilities and activities, so you can choose some, all, (or even none if you just want peace and quiet).

Plan Not to Plan

We’re always thrilled to welcome new guests and are always excited to see them year after year! It’s a century-long tradition: Children go on a Sunny Hill vacation with their parents, and we get to see them grow into adults who bring their kids back again and again.

Do You Accept Credit Cards?

Credit cards are accepted. Ask about our cash/check discount. Some restrictions apply.

What are your Check-in/Check-out hours?

Check-in is 3:00 pm
Check out is 10:00 am

What are your office hours?

8:00am-8:00pm  Daily, Spring – Fall
8:00am-2:00pm, Monday – Friday in the Winter

Can I stay at the resort and get a rate that does NOT include meals?

We do not offer any other rate than our all-inclusive rate which includes (3) meals per day.

Are gift certificates available?

Absolutely! This is a great gift idea. Call the main office at 518-634-7642 or the golf clubhouse at 518-634-7698 to purchase.

Are there hair dryers in the rooms?

Not by default, however if you forget yours they are available upon request.

Are there irons and ironing boards in the rooms?

These are also available upon request.

Should we bring our own linens?

No need! Linens are supplied as well as a daily cleaning service.

Do you have WiFi?

Yes, there is free WiFi throughout the resort.

Do you supply pool towels?

We do not offer pool towels and recommend that you bring your own.

How do I calculate my rate?

Simply find the motel page you wish to stay in, and view the rate tables. Our rates are based on double adult occupancy and are calculated from that base, though single adult discounts may be offered. Kids daily rates are listed by age group. Add each additional child/occupant’s rate to yours.

Want a more personalized experience? Call our office at 518-634-7642 and we will happily calculate a rate for you.

Can I bring my dog?

Animals are not allowed on the premises, but there are kennels nearby.

Does the package include greens fees and cart?

Resort guests can purchase all-day greens fees for only $15. Cart is not included. Also check out our incredible golf packages which include unlimited greens fees during certain events!

What are the suggested daily gratuities?

We suggest for our waitstaff $6.00 per adult and child per day and housekeeping is $4.00 per adult and child per day.

Is there air conditioning?

Yes, all rooms at our Hudson Valley resort have air-conditioning.

How much does it cost to stay at Sunny Hill?

It depends on the motel, time period, number of guests and ages of children. Please see our rates for details or contact the office at 518-634-7642 for assistance.